Soule Mama had a list of 10 things she’s loving right now. Here’s my list a little late and without fancy pictures:
1. Crafty Mom Blogs – Maybe I can’t do it, but some Mom’s are staying at home and “working” too. Making me wish I could sew and cook more. I have serious craft envy every time I read them. One of these days I’m going to get that sewing machine out of the cellar and actually use it again. It’s just that I have to re-learn how to thread it every time I use it.
2. Plastic Alternatives – We have been going through all the tupperware etc. and trying to find replacements. Sigg water bottles are great and Pyrex storage containers are much lighter and more convenient than I thought they would be. I was pleased when our pediatrician asked if we were looking at all of our plastics. I thought, “Here’s somebody on the same page as us.” Does anyone have any other suggestions for plastic alternatives for lunch boxes?
3. My Newly Painted House – It looks beautiful! Our house was painted a week before we bought it. It looked great, but the painter did a lousy job and it started peeling within 6 months. 3 1/2 years later we finally got it painted again. (and new front steps) It looks even better than when we bought it.
4. Warm Sunny Days in the Garden – Things are really taking off in the garden department. We spent the whole weekend outside. We’ve planted almost everything we planned (apple guilds included). My son is doing pretty well. He wants to be involved and he actually planted a tomato all by himself. He also thinks weeding the onions means pulling out the onions not the plants around them. We’re working on it, but we’re all having a great time and our dog who used to be content to sleep most of the day has decided that she is an outside dog and must be outside at all times.
5. Seeing Friends and Family – At my son’s birthday we were able to see some very close friends that we haven’t seen in a while because we are like machines working and mothering (fathering) and seldom come up for air. I know that everyone says that it’s important to have time together, but we want to spend our time with our son because we don’t get to see him often enough. It was also great to see our son interact with his grandparents (both sets) he doesn’t get to see them very often, but it’s clear he loves them very much.
6. Waking up to my 2 year-old son singing “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.” It doesn’t get much better than that even at 5:45 am.
7. Yard Sale Find – My father-in-law found this cool wooden tractor with a cultivator attached to it for $3 at a yard sale. Little did he know that it was a Fagus tractor retailing at about $55 (just for the tractor) and that his daughter-in-law had just come across this brand on the internet about a week before and was pining over them. I have dreams about things like this.
8. Timing My Showers – I guess this one is a little weird, but I’ve been trying to save water by timing my showers. I am one of those people who daydream in the shower and what should take 8 minutes takes 20, because I’m not paying attention. 8 minutes is no problem when I set the timer and stay on task. Then I have more time to do other things in the morning.
9. This cool toy chest my Mom painted as a birthday present for our son – It has all kinds of sea creatures on it: whales, dolphins, turtles, jellyfish, coral and a giant octopus under the lid. My Mom’s painting skills have really come a long way and I think my son will treasure this box for a long time.
10. Special Events – My son just had his birthday, we’ll spend my birthday at a nature day at the local Audubon, my husband’s birthday is soon after that and our tenth anniversary is only a couple months off. We’re hoping to do something special but we’re always last minute so we haven’t planned anything yet.